Skip to main content

Radio silence

Shit. I forgot I was trying to do the blog thing while I was in the Iron Yard.

Being in a gauntlet of learning and staring at a computer screen all day, rummaging through Stack Overflow and Google searches to figure out bits of code tends to dull your desire to hop on the computer for leisure. 

It's been a huge gap between my last post and now, and between those times I've learned heavy amounts of HTML, CSS and Javascript. We're currently working on Node.JS using Sessions, Mustache and Body Parser as well as a few other things (Mongoose and MongoDB are next week!). 

The pace at which we've gone, and the amount that I've learned has been immense. So immense it's precluded me from writing any of this kind of stuff. I'm dreaming about code. I'm thinking about code over my cereal in the morning. I'm thinking about code while I use the restroom. IT NEVER ENDS!!!

I'm in the process of building a Mystery Word game using Node, Sessions & Mustache right now. I remember a few weeks ago not knowing how to fucking work Flexbox in HTML and now I'm worried about end points and server side programming. It's pretty incredible. 

I've almost quit a few times - this stuff can feel so insurmountable and daunting. It's an immense amount of material to comb through and comprehend. We hear time and time again from our instructional staff to be a "pancake" and not a "waffle". In other words, don't let this material sink in too deep, let it gloss over you and continue on. That's been a tough pill for me to swallow, but I've come around to see the merit of it. You just can't master this stuff in a few weeks, or months. But you can introduce yourself to it, the concepts and the use but you need to be less critical about how you approach it. 

There's things I've felt comfortable on, and things I've felt uncomfortable on. But you know what? That's okay, because I'm a developer now, and that's exactly what I signed up for.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Git damnit...

Phew...had my intro to command line and Git today. My push kept going toward a repository I hadn't directed it toward (or did, and stupidly didn't realize). After deleting and remaking everything I managed to get it to work. I'm not entirely sure I understand the upside of using Git & the terminal for pushing files - but I expect that will become more clear as I continue learning and applying my new knowledge. The satisfaction derived from being faced with an issue and solving it is immense. Indeed, this must be a required bone in the programmers body. I finished Nick Pettits' Treehouse portfolio tutorial yesterday as well, which is currently live @ www.colindimeo.com - however, all the content is placeholder with that provided in the tut. I will be updating it within the week. Look out for that! (Maybe I'll sneak a little JS in there too!)

Duh.

Well - it took me a minute, but I misunderstood that the original "end" was not to cap my "if" - I was missing the "end" cap for the "if". Problem: require 'csv' total_sales = 0 CSV.foreach('sales-data.csv', headers: true, converters: :all) do |row|   # TODO: check if category is "Music" (row[2])   # TODO: if it is music, add total_sales + the row's sales (row[6]) end puts total_sales.round(2) Solution: require 'csv' total_sales = 0 CSV.foreach('sales-data.csv', headers: true, converters: :all) do |row|   if row[2] == "Music"   total_sales = total_sales + row[6]   end end puts total_sales.round(2)

Typing test:

Need to work on my accuracy, but I'm pleased with my WPM at the moment. typing.com is a really strong resource - I look forward to using it more regularly to hone my typing skills.