Skip to main content

Day One @ The Iron Yard

I just walked through the door after my first day at The Iron Yard. Wow. My brain feels like it's swelled up like a sponge. It feels like it turned itself on for the first time in years. Even after the first day, you can tell the pace is going to be on the quick side. You're just hammering into material, not expected to comprehend it deeply, but at least conceptually in some regards. We tore into Git & GitHub quite a bit - which was funny because leading up into the course I had brushed off terminal usage as a trivial component in the face of learning HTML, CSS & JS. Oh how wrong I was! Tonight and the rest of this week I'll be making sure I'm maximizing my time in the terminal so I can really get that down pat. We got into some of the structural realities of HTML in some of the homework (which I worked on during our free work time) which was easy enough after pounding through Ducketts book last month.

This is rambling and ill conceived, but I have to admit I'm a bit fried. I got to meet a lot of nice people, and the excitement of the next 16 weeks is really setting in. I'm ready for the challenge, and I'm looking forward to diving even further in. I'll keep ya posted...

Oh - one last thing. I got a bit of wisdom from one of the teaching assistants today about your attitude toward code you're working on (and it may not be playing nice with ya):

"Code is cheap"

In other words, don't be afraid to take that sweet little baby you built up and toss it to the curb if it ain't working. I'll have to remember that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Git damnit...

Phew...had my intro to command line and Git today. My push kept going toward a repository I hadn't directed it toward (or did, and stupidly didn't realize). After deleting and remaking everything I managed to get it to work. I'm not entirely sure I understand the upside of using Git & the terminal for pushing files - but I expect that will become more clear as I continue learning and applying my new knowledge. The satisfaction derived from being faced with an issue and solving it is immense. Indeed, this must be a required bone in the programmers body. I finished Nick Pettits' Treehouse portfolio tutorial yesterday as well, which is currently live @ www.colindimeo.com - however, all the content is placeholder with that provided in the tut. I will be updating it within the week. Look out for that! (Maybe I'll sneak a little JS in there too!)

Duh.

Well - it took me a minute, but I misunderstood that the original "end" was not to cap my "if" - I was missing the "end" cap for the "if". Problem: require 'csv' total_sales = 0 CSV.foreach('sales-data.csv', headers: true, converters: :all) do |row|   # TODO: check if category is "Music" (row[2])   # TODO: if it is music, add total_sales + the row's sales (row[6]) end puts total_sales.round(2) Solution: require 'csv' total_sales = 0 CSV.foreach('sales-data.csv', headers: true, converters: :all) do |row|   if row[2] == "Music"   total_sales = total_sales + row[6]   end end puts total_sales.round(2)

Typing test:

Need to work on my accuracy, but I'm pleased with my WPM at the moment. typing.com is a really strong resource - I look forward to using it more regularly to hone my typing skills.