Skip to main content

re: The Iron Yard is closing...

We got the news half way through our first week from the campus director. The room felt funny afterward, everyone who had been wide eyed and excited the day before was visibly distraught.

"What does this mean for us?"

I chewed on that question for the day, not much longer than that. I realized that while it was unfortunate news, we weren't getting locked out of the facility that day. We would be the last cohort in Durham that was serviced, and the doors wouldn't be shut until we were finished with what we had signed up for.



We lost one class mate the next day, and I appreciated that. However, I realized that what does the closing of this business have to do with me? Why should I be worried? If I can leave The Iron Yard with the skills that I signed up to learn, and I can take the momentum from that process to continue my journey as a developer...who cares?

I came from a music background, and never in my career was I stopped because I didn't have a piece of paper from a Berklee, or U-Arts. People want to know if you can play your damn instrument. As far as I'm concerned, if I can build a damn website, or write some bitchin' JS - what does it matter what happens to The Iron Yard?

I feel for the employees of the business because they've been nothing but supportive and knowledgable, but this doesn't change my trajectory. I'll be damned if it does.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Git damnit...

Phew...had my intro to command line and Git today. My push kept going toward a repository I hadn't directed it toward (or did, and stupidly didn't realize). After deleting and remaking everything I managed to get it to work. I'm not entirely sure I understand the upside of using Git & the terminal for pushing files - but I expect that will become more clear as I continue learning and applying my new knowledge. The satisfaction derived from being faced with an issue and solving it is immense. Indeed, this must be a required bone in the programmers body. I finished Nick Pettits' Treehouse portfolio tutorial yesterday as well, which is currently live @ www.colindimeo.com - however, all the content is placeholder with that provided in the tut. I will be updating it within the week. Look out for that! (Maybe I'll sneak a little JS in there too!)

Duh.

Well - it took me a minute, but I misunderstood that the original "end" was not to cap my "if" - I was missing the "end" cap for the "if". Problem: require 'csv' total_sales = 0 CSV.foreach('sales-data.csv', headers: true, converters: :all) do |row|   # TODO: check if category is "Music" (row[2])   # TODO: if it is music, add total_sales + the row's sales (row[6]) end puts total_sales.round(2) Solution: require 'csv' total_sales = 0 CSV.foreach('sales-data.csv', headers: true, converters: :all) do |row|   if row[2] == "Music"   total_sales = total_sales + row[6]   end end puts total_sales.round(2)

Typing test:

Need to work on my accuracy, but I'm pleased with my WPM at the moment. typing.com is a really strong resource - I look forward to using it more regularly to hone my typing skills.