Skip to main content

So it begins!

This is a little out of the box for me. Don't particularly fancy myself a writer. Although, I did try working on a short story once about a guy who uses his big toe as fishing bait...didn't go so great. Probably worth noting - there won't be any horror short stories in here - no toe tales - just some ramblings of someone who is about to embark on the journey of web development.

Maybe a little back story about myself will be helpful. My name is Colin Di Meo, I'm 27 years old and presently residing in Durham, NC (transplant from NJ). For the past 10 years I busted my butt as a musician, and up until recently (March of 2017) I was extremely active. I was touring the past 3 years around 200 or so days a year, and the years previous to that (while comparatively leaner) were still busy as well. I decided to "throw in the towel" sometime around the middle of 2016. I was tired. I was falling out of love with my instrument. The shows didn't feel as exciting, even when the people numbered the thousands. That was my sign.


Somewhere along the way, chugging 100's of miles down US highway systems, I found myself swaddling through the noise of Reddit and Quora posts about "which programming language to learn first" or "which programming language is best" and other variations of the impossibly definitive questions we pose to Google. Well, that started me off. Next thing I knew I was lamely attempting to digest a proprietary language for a 2D game engine called GameMaker Studio. I got through a few tutorials, and even finished a basic platforming game. But 2D is lame! That's so old I thought, I wanna make something badass...like Skyrim!!! Well, several dozen hours of C# tutorials for Unity later, I realized I was way over my head. I needed help.

That brings us to now. I've enrolled, and have been accepted to the Iron Yard in Durham. My cohort begins on July 17th, and between now and then I've got a slew of material I'm going to be combing through to best prepare myself for the program. Armed with a few books on JS, JQuery, HTML & CSS - I'm ready to go. Here I will be posting trains of thought, snippets of code, and as I make my way through - my experience at the Iron Yard. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Git damnit...

Phew...had my intro to command line and Git today. My push kept going toward a repository I hadn't directed it toward (or did, and stupidly didn't realize). After deleting and remaking everything I managed to get it to work. I'm not entirely sure I understand the upside of using Git & the terminal for pushing files - but I expect that will become more clear as I continue learning and applying my new knowledge. The satisfaction derived from being faced with an issue and solving it is immense. Indeed, this must be a required bone in the programmers body. I finished Nick Pettits' Treehouse portfolio tutorial yesterday as well, which is currently live @ www.colindimeo.com - however, all the content is placeholder with that provided in the tut. I will be updating it within the week. Look out for that! (Maybe I'll sneak a little JS in there too!)

Duh.

Well - it took me a minute, but I misunderstood that the original "end" was not to cap my "if" - I was missing the "end" cap for the "if". Problem: require 'csv' total_sales = 0 CSV.foreach('sales-data.csv', headers: true, converters: :all) do |row|   # TODO: check if category is "Music" (row[2])   # TODO: if it is music, add total_sales + the row's sales (row[6]) end puts total_sales.round(2) Solution: require 'csv' total_sales = 0 CSV.foreach('sales-data.csv', headers: true, converters: :all) do |row|   if row[2] == "Music"   total_sales = total_sales + row[6]   end end puts total_sales.round(2)

Typing test:

Need to work on my accuracy, but I'm pleased with my WPM at the moment. typing.com is a really strong resource - I look forward to using it more regularly to hone my typing skills.